It has come to point in life that people, organization want to be in control of things, situations of what affects their lives directly. As result, areas have established weather stations for their local use. What is weather stations?
a weather station is a facility, location that has been set up with special equipment that will help in recording, analyzing and prediction of weather patterns and climate changes of a locality.
- Types of weather stations
- The wireless weather station, these kinds of station operate with the help of batteries. The equipment has individual sensors that transmit data to a central location with display and storage.
- Home stations; this type of weather station is small and ideal for home or office use, and it comes with the necessary equipment that will help in collecting the various weather and climate determinants data.
- Digital stations; this type of locations are state of the art, an improvement of all the available ones. The equipment is sophisticated and provides more detailed data and information. The updates collected can be compared to the ones received by professional weather forecasters.
- Professional station; relates closely to the home location, simple and ideal for a home and office. The difference though is that the information collected is more accurate and reliable unlike the former.
- Equipment and its uses
- the thermometer; it’s a specialized equipment that is used to measure and record the environment temperature.
- Barometer: used to measure the atmospheric pressure of an area
- hygrometer; this equipment is used to measure the area humidity
- pyranometer; a specialized apparatus for measuring the solar radiation
- rain gauge: used for collecting rain water and measuring its precipitation.
- Factors to consider before setting up a weather station
- Location- this facility should be set away from any obstructions lie building, trees and slopes. In most case, its position should be elevated at least 10 meters high.
- Additional sensors- there is essential equipment of the station as mentioned above but they might come with other sensors that will help in providing more accurate data in its collection
- equipment ability- one should thoroughly look at the capability of the equipment when it comes to correctly collecting and recording data.
- Budget- one’s budget on such a facility will determine the type of material that will be purchased and installed. A sophisticated service is costly
- Advantages of a weather station.
- Better planning- with the knowledge of the expected climate situation. One can plan for agricultural activities, or home improvement activities like gardening and painting
- record keeping- with the sophisticated equipment and technology, the information collected will be well stored and one can always go back and refer to a particular period without much hustle.
- Accurate information- with the close monitoring of these weather stations, the sophistication of the equipment and the focus on a small locality, one is assured of reliable climate prediction.
- Protection- with advanced sensors, some equipment can predict natural calamities like storms, armed with this knowledge one can work on a protective measure of animals and homesteads in readiness to these disasters.
5.Disadvantages of a weather station
- Equipment maintenance- the unique types of equipment have sensitive parts that will need to be maintained time and again to ensure that they function properly
- Limited location- due to its limited area of coverage, the information provided will not help many people for it’s for a particular field, home or office.
- Cost- for one to set up a sophisticated facility one will have to use a lot of money in purchasing of state of the art pieces of equipment.
- Close monitoring- If the station that has been set up is manual, it will require workforce to have it monitored at different intervals for all the areas it is covering.
A weather station is an excellent facility to set up in an area, be it an office or a home, point to note however is that it might be costly to have it up and running, discharging its function properly. with the costs involved one might opt to rely on the general weather forecast with the meteorologists and cross their fingers as they plan for their activities.